At first glance selecting right social influencers seems easy, but in fact there can be many pitfalls. Let's find out who the influencers are and how to promote your product with their help.
Who is an influencer?
Any blogger who monetizes his or her activities through advertising can be called an influencer nowadays. In fact, being influencer means being the leader of opinions. Their point of view on a particular issue is of great importance for the audience.
One can identify five kinds of influencers:
- The networker is a blogger who has got many social contacts. He or she is often engaged in integrations and collaborations with brands and other bloggers.
- The opinion leader has gained credibility and respect in his or her segment of activity. Opinion leaders are well versed in the matter, so all their words are worth their weight in gold for the audience.
- The discoverer does not mark time, he or she is always looking for new niches. Such influencers are always in trend and up to date on new products.
- The distributor is used to spreading the information that he or she considers important. This person does not generate content, but rather distributes it among the audience.
- The user is an ordinary person who represents massmarket brands or small companies. But this does not prevent him or her from making good money and being a favorite of people.
Another classification is based on the influence rate, i.e. number of followers:
- Micro-influencers. This category includes influencers with 5 000 - 100 000 subscribers.
- Midi-influencers - up to 1 000 000 audience.
- Macro-influencers have been able to cross the million mark.
By the way, it is not necessary to chase a huge audience. The less followers, the easier it is to maintain closer contact with them and earn more loyalty. Therefore, sometimes PR with help of micro-influencers can be more effective. In other words, size matters, but other factors are important too:
- Audience loyalty
Searching for influencers is not easy, however necessary for reaching your target audience. Hive Analytic platform was created to facilitate this task.
Influencer marketing: choosing the right influencer
Influencer marketing has appeared relatively recently. The frequency of this Google search has increased up to 450% since 2015. Collaboration with the infuencer is an important step in any brand development. The key to the proper advertising result is choosing the right content maker.
Most of the businessmen are already working with influencers. Their advertising content is being transformed into native, and communication with the brand is welcomed. This is an excellent result, which can be achieved if you choose influencers wisely. Take a look at the simple example: if you sell diving equipment, it would be somewhat weird to deal with fitness bloggers. It seems much better idea to find a travel blogger.
Influencing marketing is about the person-to-person relationship. The thing is that predicting the development of your advertising campaign (including cooperation with the influencer) is of great difficulty, but it is worth considering a few useful tips and recommendations to minimize risks:
- It is important to stay flexible in order to get rid of a fully commercial interaction format. It is much more interesting to become a natural part of the influencer's content than to disappear from feed after getting paid.
- Do not let your posts look explicitly advertising! The audience always notices that some post is totally different from other texts in the blog.
- Carry out a thorough analysis of the audience: statistics reports may not be enough to unserstand if there is an enough intersection with your target audience. Pay attention to the lifestyle promoted by an influencer and his or her writing manner.
- Your brand mentions should not be too sugary, it looks unnatural. However, dryness and lack of emotion is also bad.
- Examine comments to get the essential information about the audience. If you see many weird and rude people there, think of assessing the risks: is it worth trusting such person your brand when your reputation may suffer?
Briefly speaking, the product must naturally complement the lifestyle and content of the influencer in order to interest his or her audience.
Deep account analysis
The procedure of account analysis is more complicated than it might seem. Number of followers is only the tip of the iceberg. It is good to start with, but only in order to further focus on internal activity on the influencer page.
The most important step is the correlation of number of likes and comments with the size of the audience - this characterizes the involvement level. The more the better, but indicators of "goodness" vary in accordance with the number of followers:
- For an account with 10,000 subscribers good performance starts with 4-5%.
- In case of macro-influencers 1-2% are considered good indicators.
Want to quickly estimate the engagement of the audience? Check the amount of likes. 10-15% of the total audience number is a good sign.
Big name doesn't guarantee a good result anymore. Audience will not believe that, for instance, Cristiano Ronaldo will buy budget yogurt. In such cases, micro-influencers are a good choice for you. These are the same opinion leaders, but with a narrow specialization that fits a particular brand. Their recommendations usually look more natural.
Numbers are quite important, but they are not always enough. Imagine that you are a regular Instagram user. Is the content interesting? Would you like to see it in your feed? Sometimes even excellent statistics do not negate the subjective nuisance of style, which may not be suitable for a particular product.
Before communicating with an influencer, there is a lot of work inside the company. And this is not just an Instagram account analysis:
- The first step is accounts monitoring. Usually it is done manually in order to create a high-quality data base, but time wasting can be avoided if using Hive Analytic.
- Elaboration of sample advertising scenarios.
- Setting up the advertising budget with clear understanding the minimum and maximum costs.
Interests of the audience as a key to success
One needs to pay attention to the interests of the Instagram audience when choosing the influencer. Social network essentially is a picture of a beautiful life. Everything works for it:
- Technical skills. The right influencer should have a good camera and ability to take interesting professional photos.
- Beautiful feed which is pleasant to watch. Influencer's profile should cause only positive emotions.
- The skill of presenting information and also promoting a personal brand. Check out how an influencer draws up his or her posts (paragraph highlighting, relevant emoji - check whether the texts are lively, interesting and readable).
- The interests of the influencer. The more points of intersection with the scope of your product or brand - the better.
- Language and geography of an influencer. It makes no sense to contact a person who works mostly with Europe if your target audience is located in New York or Dubai.
The art of influencers selection
Marketing with popular opinion leaders is gaining momentum. The new generation is abandoning TV with its aggressive commercials - the era of social networks has arrived, where everyone follows certain authorities in their areas of interest.
The life of an influencer is constantly visible. Subscribers are witnesses to every step of the influencer, and therefore feel that they can trust his or her opinion. Working with the influencer is no longer an advertisement in its classical understanging.
We offer some more useful tips:
- Do not neglect the new format for advertising - stories. Many people prefer not to scroll the feed, but rather to watch short clips.
- It makes sense to select Instagram influencers when betting on several characters with different indicators at once.
- Pay attention to the influencer's communication with followers. How close is she or he to the audience? Does she or he respond to comments and conduct contests and quizzes regularly?
- Do not dwell on strictly working relations with influencers, but also maintain friendly connections.
The loyalty of customers who come from the influencers tends to be almost 40% higher than loyalty of people who got arrtracted by classic advertising. Do not ignore a powerful tool, and if the process of accounts analysis and Instagram influencers selection takes too much time and effort, trust this task to Hive Analytic.